Ok. I don't want to talk...write...your ears (eyes?) off. (what?! hehe!) So here's my summary:
Traveling could not have gone more smoothly. I have no idea why I was so at ease the whole time, but I felt like I traveled to a foreign country by myself everyday. I felt like a real adult! Except I still think the words "poop" and "fart" are hilarious. So maybe not...
My roommate Ashley picked me up from the airport last night and she is wonderful and extrememly helpful. Totally God's timing that she will be here for the duration of my trip.
Today I went grocery shopping, rode on the back of my first motobike, had lunch with Ashley at a more western cafe (had an ommelet if you were wondering), and then went to the center (the Daughters headquarters) where experienced too many emotions for one day! There are about 60-70 women who work there, and I can't help but look at their faces and wonder what kind of horrors they've experienced in the brothels. There are also 7 "lady boys" who dress and feel like women and were in brothels too for men who perfer boys. I can't bring myself to tell you some of the stories I've heard that literally make me want to throw up, and if I focused on the evil too long I might become hopeless and a bit looney. But at the center I saw God at work. I truly did. Ok, so have you seen bags or jewelry made in other countries that are Fair Trade products and help people directly get out of poverty? The center is basically the factory! I actually got to see the products being made and I got to look into the eyes of the women who made them, women who are choosing to change their situation by refusing to do sex work in order to earn money. There are rooms for sewing, hand-stiching, button making, screen printing, clothes designing and making, and jewelry making. There are also girls being trained to cook and bake and make coffee for the cafe that is about to open in a few weeks, and girls practicing manicures, pedicures, and massages for the spa that is going to open with the cafe. I did my self-sacrificing Christian duty by letting them practice doing pedicures and massages on me. :) I couldn't believe how much God was moving. I looked around at the girls at work in the different rooms and realized that they have been rescued! 60-70 people out of the sex industry sounds like a drop in the bucket, but when you see their faces and smiles for yourself, you realize how worth it it is to keep trying, to keep doing SOMETHING as small as it seems.
What I will be doing: I'll be teaching music classes a couple times a week, managing the jewelry makers and spa girls, doing admin work for Ruth (the very busy CEO) and also leading a work ethic workshop.
Prayer requests:
1. My heart is breaking and I don't necessarily want that to go away, but I need some strength to cope with what I'm seeing, and eyes to see what God is doing.
2. that I take it easy so that I don't burn out!
I LOVE YOU ALL AND I CAN FEEL YOUR PRAYERS!
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh wow.... God is truly soverign and holy. You heart is breaking (which I knew it would) but nothing a massage, a toe-nail job and a fresh cup of expresso can't mend to begin again another day. nice....
ReplyDeleteAnd Ruth must be an angel in disguize and know you so well...(unless you got to pick what you want to do?) because the music, work ethics and leading and managing others are three of your strongest spiritual gifts, pumpkin! WHA-HOO!!!! Thank you so much, Heavenly Father.
God, You Rock and Reign!!
Keep your wits about you, always know what is going on around you when you are out in public, try to maintain a healthy sleeping pattern or you will get cranky... and use that water pump EVERY day! SOOO excited for you!!! Love your 1st blog. Keep them coming! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Mama
PS Tell Ashley I love her. She's my new BFF. Oh, wait! I can tell her on her own blog! :) Oh yeah, babe!
Katie, I am so thankful that you had a smooth flight. I hope you where able to catch up on some zzzzzzz. I am so proud of you. You are more amazing then you give yourself credit for. I think you are so humble that you don’t even see what a mighty woman of God you are already. God always send’s his best and well equipped vessels to do his work in such dark places. You are an inspiration to all those that know you and you will soon have a big impact on lives in Cambodia.
ReplyDeleteDo not get discouraged and remember that YOU CAN NOT FIX this situation. You will drive yourself crazy trying to, you are there to spread the GOOD NEWS and LOVE of JESUS CHRIST. Let the Lord lead you and remain obedient. Satin will bark and growl every step of the way, just remember that the devil is on a leash and you are surrounded by God’s hedges!! Satin can scare you but Gods got your back! When ever you are feeling over whelmed and the stories get to be too much for you, just call out the sweetest name you know…Jesus!!
Love you…oh and I’ll have you know…Cliff and I are still fasting while you are gone and day one for us was good too… I was tempted but thought of you and it was easy to pass the temptation. Love you and praying for you all day, every day!!!!
Ok ok so I know my last post had some spelling issues...it was early and my spell checker failed me....don't judge me, just love me. :-)
ReplyDeleteSo So Awesome to see where God has brought you! What a privelage to be a part of this work. I'll be praying strength and power and peace over you my friend. You are loved!
ReplyDelete