I'm not a saint for being in Cambodia, and neither is any other Christian working overseas. I paint. I watch girls make jewelry. I give suggestions about whether or not a smoothie should be $5 at the cafe. I type stuff and print it out. Am I really all that amazing for doing mundane things like that just because I'm doing them in Cambodia? Would it really be any less significant if I were working for a similar organization in my home-town? If I'm doing it with love, then how is one better than the other? It's just a difference of location. I'm no heroine for flying to another continent. Stop idolizing me.
Daughters isn't perfect. Visitors who come in to see what Daughters does thinks it's flawless, but that's just because they're only shown the shiny, finished parts. There's kinks and things that frustrate me. But nothing that God can't step over in order to get his work done.
I can't understand how people can be so cruel to one another. I've always thought I've been gifted with empathy. I'm usually really slow to judge people because I figure that if I understood exactly where they were coming from, and if I were put in their exact situation who's to say that I wouldn't do the same? But men who rape. I don't understand them. People who murder brutally. I don't understand. How far does someone need to be pushed before they are even capable of bludgering someone to death? What needs to happen to a boy in order for him to be okay with participating in a gang rape? That girl is his sister. His mother. His first crush. She's someone's daughter. What makes me different from him? Was it how I was raised? The culture I grew up in? The fact that I've never been without a meal? Never really tasted poverty? Is it that I've always been shown love? The fact of the matter is, even if I never commit his crimes, he and I would still go to hell for what our dirty minds have been thinking. (I <3 you Thom Yorke) Just our thoughts are enough to cast us to hell. I could murder, couldn't I? I don't know if I could rape though. Maybe that's just because I'm a girl. I'm capable of raping. Doesn't the same poison that runs through them run through me? If you say no, then what makes me different? If you say Jesus, then why is my body still going to die? My flesh will still rot because of my sin. Yes, my soul will live for eternity. I will be given a new, perfect body. But I'm talking about now. There is no "us" and "them" is there? There's only us and God. He's the only good.
People told me "oh you'll just fall in love with the country and the people. The general people are not all that friendly. No one smiles at me like people said they would. The city is a sad, dirty place. I've fallen in love with the people who I've befriended, but it's not because Cambodians in particular are striking to me. They're just human beings, and I'd find human beings to love in any country.
I talked to a pastor today. After church last week I asked if he and his wife could meet with me sometime. I really wanted to hear about how Cambodian culture is different from Western culture (they are Korean and Malay but studied in the States) and how best to reach a people who have grown up in Buddhist culture. But they ended up lecturing me about all kinds of stuff I wasn't interested in talking about. They were critical towards Christian universities, saying that they pile burdens onto their students- financial burdens, and burdens like putting pressure on them to continue on in seminary. I didn't tell them I went to a Christian university. They also told me that God's main goal for my life is to sanctify me. I thought it was to continue his work on this earth, saving his people. I thought my life was about others, not myself. Of course I suppose we can't do his work unless he first sanctifies us. But aren't we santified through doing his work? Not before? They tried to convince me that I could not possibly waste anything God has given me if my heart's aim was to serve him however he wanted to use me. I'm sure that's true, but I still feel like there are mistakes I could make that will keep someone from hearing the Gospel. Not that God couldn't reach that person by some other means other than through me, but I'm afraid that someone will be left in the dark just because I was too lazy or selfish to get off my comfortable couch and find them. Wouldn't that be the case if I stayed in the States when it's obvious I was made for cross-cultural living? But isn't America FULL of different cultures? I'm sick of people asking me if I'll come back here to Cambodia. I don't know! I'm sick of freaking out that half my life is gone and fearing that I'll let some whitewashed adult tell me that I'm young and have my whole life ahead of me and end up wasting years not saving people in Jesus' name.
My Canadian friends are getting tired of me and my mom's the only one who reads to the end of my blogs. I'm ready to go home.
Thursday, June 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My darling. sigh** you seem a bit tired. This was your first long term trip overseas and you have done well. Very well. The weather, the culture, the evil there that has become a standard of living. has all taken its toll. But you have learned much, and if you should ever go overseas again, I would add to your suitcase. A PC so we can Skype and see each other, and I could have an address to send you stuff. (hopefully someday...I could bring me!) Now you listen to me! God calls us ALL to serve, and even doing the most minimal job of cleaning toilets can be an act of worship if done with joy and gratitude to the Lord. Nobody idolizes you (we, maybe I do on occasion) so snap out of it.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely does not matter where you are or who you are with. We ALL fall short of God's glory and we are definitely no better than another person on this earth. Sin is sin. And the same shame and evil IS here in the states. But few choose to actually serve. Yes, it may take a special heart to serve overseas, but guess what? Few take that call to service seriously (including me sometimes). If we were serious, we would feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, honor our parents and love the unlovable boss at work and let that car cut in front of us if they were that much in a hurry and we would not trip over what someone else has that we do not have. How many times has a pastor asked that his own congregation help out at the church picnic or help set up or tear down on Sunday mornings? And yet it is the same few people I see taking our morning offerings or watching our kids.
You ARE special, Katie because you listen to that still small voice – and you DO love God’s people! Many do , but do not act on it. Your passion is real and even if you were locked in jail, you would be like Paul, preaching to the guards and to your cellmates, offering a hope and a future beyond the cold lifeless cement walls. There are many Christians who serve God in a might way every day, who are humble and unseen and un-noticed, yet God sees them. And that is all that counts. Choosing to go overseas is a bit more noticeable and more dramatic… but that is because of the added risk and so few choose that path. Those Canadians are with a team and you know it is different than you going by yourself. You cannot compare your journey. .Trust me, they like you. They have been wonderful to you.
And do you honestly think any business is perfect? HA! Just look at our State of California! Now THERE is a broken system. But it’s ours, and we live here, and we have the best of everything on the planet here, and it is home. We should do our best always to take good care of it. With each new sunrise comes another chance to do it right!
Finally, darling, do not be discouraged by a Pastor who does not know you, or your heart. I know you did not get the conversation you wanted, , but maybe God needed you to encourage HIM—and by flattering him with an appointment, through your politeness and respectful manor, you might have encouraged him and given him the confidence to continue to do Gods work, as you sat there and just listened to him. Never limit what you are doing! God uses every single thought word and deed. Honey, life gets frustrating now and then and it is perfectly acceptable to vent and be discouraged from time to time! I loveyou, you GOOSE… and by the way… MANY read your blogs until the very end… it is only YOU who ready MY responses till the very end! …HA! I love you, Katedizzle Xox mamma
PS.... HALF YOUR LIFE IS OVER????!!?!! SERIOUSLY??? that would mean I should have been dead 11 years ago... oh brother... you goofball...go have some chocolate and take a nap. What have I told you about Recovery? GOD NEVER--EVER WASTES A HURT!! He uses all for good. Every wrong turn you made led you exactly where you are right now. Enjoy the ride. You are almost home. My job now is to just finnish well... my past belongs to God. And to tell you that your immediate future has a fat apple fritter in it if you promise to stop whining. :) xoxoxxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteKatie, I love you. I read your blogs till the end. I can only imagine how HARD this journey has been for you and can't wait to hear what you learn as you reflect and gain perspective on your time in Cambodia.
ReplyDeleteWill you be in Sacramento for a while at all when you get home? I would love to dine with you.
Katie! I also read till the end. I love your passion for others more than yourself. I agree with you that others are more important than ourselves. "For even the son of man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many."
ReplyDeleteYou have given of yourself so much to cambodians but also to people here in the states, students, adults. Discipleship is a process not a one time thing, and showing Jesus is through your love for others. I know that God is going to continue to use you wherever you are.
I'm praying that God will continue your desire to reach the lost. Your love for others.
Nobody talks about the crap in being being overseas. As glorious and rewarding as it can be at times, there are just as many if not more moments that are filled with frustration, homesickness, fatigue, sickness, and downright anger.
ReplyDeleteYou're not a saint, and I don't believe you're any better than that rapist or murderer. You're a person who makes mistakes and bad choices just like anyone else and for those you face the consequences. Don't let this fact and the downers suck you into a pity party. Just like the toilet cleaner, the teacher, the tv repair man and the doctor have their roles in life so do you. Yours just happens to take place in a foreign country with things outside of your realm of normalcy. You have an important role in this world my dear, don't take away that value.
You may not be somebody worthy of idolizing and praising, but you're certainly worthy of appreciation and encouragement. Accept the love and admiration people have for you, give God what is rightfully his, and send the rest of the love back out to the people who gave it to you. No pity party, no disappointment in yourself, no fear or regret in this trip or in your life thus far. Your momma and your God say you are beautiful and worthy of the life you have been given, so don't you dare fight them on that Katie Tam!
Love you :)
PS. This is Jeni Braden :)
ReplyDeletePowerful processing Katie, now I have a bunch of stuff to process. Thanks for being vulnerable, honest, and you.
ReplyDeleteYou are loved.
false.i read them too. though i know that's not what you want to read. you are amazing, whether you are in the states or not. i know you are proably in a "cynthia, i dont want to hear your optumism" mood but hey. its what i'm good at. I am waiting to be able to be on the phone with you, like you were with me when i came back from the philippines.
ReplyDeleteI READ TOO :) LOVE!
ReplyDeleteYour in sites are eye-opening and it does take courage to go overseas. because unlike me going around town. there is a lot more vulnerability over there. you cant just go home. its a process. and thats what makes you special. (but I;m special too) We were all created different and for different places. (I know you know this). But wanted to let you know :)XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
~katherine
Proverbs 11:25 says:
The generous will prosper;those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.
You are being such a blessing over there. And you are affecting those girls lives for the better. SOOOO...
God, in Jesus name you are not a liar and as kaitie is refreshing others, you said you would refresh her. We thank you for that. Amen
Katie Tam. You sound like you're in a rut. I want to say you're special and you're wonderful for doing God's work but I know you'll just tell me to shut it. Know you by simply being there are changing the lives of those girls the way you changed my life years ago when we met. You get frustrated and down and It is okay. You're work in Cambodia makes sense to God and really, it does NOT need to make sense to anyone else. I for one am proud of you for going far away from home, giving up your summer and comfort, not seeing me (okay that one is a joke in hopes to make you smile) comfortable flush toilets with clean seats that don't make you throw up a little when you look at them (not a joke). Long story short... As much as I love you, get over whatever funk you're in. You will be home before you know it and. I do not know when you will realize your purpose for going to Cambodia. Maybe it will be in a feature length documentary on a world famous smoothie make who decided to come to the States and try her hand at entrepreneurship and became rich and famous an owes it ito you... WHO KNOWS, Oh yeah that big guy.. upstairs.. God, you chat with him often I've seen you do it. I've prayed with you, next to you, in the same room, etc. You're here for him baby and that is why you're in Cambodia, that is why so many people are proud and happy and excited and glad. Your Canadian friends are not getting sick of you. I've known you for a lot longer than them and I have never been sick of you.. Okay maybe once because you made me own up to my accidental passing of gas at Hume in front of the guard shack with really cute guys working, but I wasn't sick of you.. Just HORRIFIED!!!!
ReplyDeleteAmerica is a wonderful place. Some people see it differently. God moves differently. Some people have not come to know him and that is a work in progress, what we're here for. Sin exists everywhere, people have bad thoughts, some act, others don't, some repent, others don't. God works in weird, crazy, wonderful, amazing, POWERFUL ways. Nothing is without reason. Satan also moves in ways that most of us do not understand but feel and in ways that makes the good seem so dim and ugly that we confuse our real purpose. We are no better than others, we cannot judge, but we can be faithful and pray and love and hope and help. I think you are doing all those things.
Mission trips are hard, especially when you are new at it I'm sure, I am no expert, but I travel a lot and it is so hard to be away from friends, family and loved ones. Your support base, your home church, your lovely mother, friends, sister, comfort, and kitties. All of it is God CHALLENGING you to be the best you can and to prepare you for the long hard sweaty road ahead that you will tackle. It may not be a sprint, but a marathon you can accomplish with God's grace.
Fun story- I was driving Hunter's nephews around and Caden (the 4 year old) started signing Our God Is An Awesome God and another worship song. It was so good to hear Christ LOVE in the voice of a four year old. He can't help but speak truth and love and happiness and puppies and toy monster trucks. Fun story end.
Any way. I have rambled. I home it brings you comfort and happiness to get you out of your fun and ready to serve the Lord again with more strength and energy. The Strength, Energy and GRACE I know God has blessed you with.
By the way, I read the end of your blog and I hope you read the end of this message. I always get sad when I reach the end of your blog because I just LOVE hearing what great things you do. Don't feel bad for going to Simpson. You're there for a reason, you've EARNED your RIGHT to be there. You will go on to do whatever makes you happy and you will serve God.
ReplyDeleteWhen you get tired, sad, annoyed, thing of a loving hug, snuggling up to your mom, kittens playing, puppies running and sliding around on slick floors, warm muffins, a cold beverage on a HOT day, licking the frosting off birthday cake candles, and all other things that give you comfort. My mom write this in my bible when I left home for college. I hope it gives you the same comfort and warmth it gives me. As you leave home and go out into the world, be a blessing to all you meet-- as you have been and always will be to our family ( In this case to your friends)Psalm 37:3-6.
Love you so much.
Ok this will be brief but I think one of the most powerful things that human beings are capable is simply being indefinitely true to their self and to the things that are birthed inside of them by God. Do we really strive to be saints and heroes? Is the fundamental theme to our purpose behind our reasoning really for a sense of fame amidst even our loved ones? Maybe we can take heart that we did not live our life on the sidelines but we actually got up and decided to see it for ourselves. Theres so much you learn about humanity amidst different cultures. Theres also so much you learn that is all too familiar.
ReplyDeleteI love you babe I want to hear about all your frustrations just as much as your joys.
Oh and i wanted to end just by saying that I think even for ourselves it can sometimes be enough to say that we at least tried and honestly our definitions of saving people for Jesus are so ambiguous. Katie remember who you are and where you come from. Remember that you do not do things to glorify the self but something bigger.
ReplyDeleteSOmething awesome for the last few days of your Journey with Christ in Cambodia.
ReplyDelete#490 Driving around with the windows down on late summer nights
Kids cruise on wobbly bikes, toddlers race on tipsy trikes, and you drift deep into the hot summer night. Swerve and curve on windy roads as darkness slowly falls and stars pop out to reveal a twinkly twilight glow. As you hit the gas and drop your windows the warm beating rush of summer air makes you smile and makes everything else in the world just fade away… fade away… fade away… fade away… fade away…
AWESOME!
love you so much.
Hey. I read your blogs to the end too. Even if a few days late. :) Thanks for being raw and real. Not that I expected anything less from you, I love your real-ness. :) I can't wait for you to come home too and see you. Maybe we can meet halfway this summer? Like maybe you could drive a wee bit past Redding to see me?? :) Maybe. We'll talk. I love you so much Katie Marie Su. More than being domestic. BOO YAH!!! :) ANNNND I'm praying for you so much.
ReplyDeleteum...i read to the end "as well" (that's one!)
ReplyDeletei love you very much, and i love your joy and your deep struggling self...i'm praying for you baby; looks like a lot of people are.
i love you.